Friday, August 24, 2012

Newton and Herons


It has been about 60 days since I started riding a bike again.  I have seen some really beautiful scenery, met some really nice people and lost some weight.   I have probably ridden a total of 4-500 miles since I started training for this ride.  Of everything I have seen to date, the most beautiful was when my odometer rolled over to 60 kilometers last Sunday!

What a beautiful day.  Jim Haake, my in house biking coach, agreed to ride the proposed route with me.  We left our office parking lot around 8:30 in the morning, heading North on Troost Ave.   I was thinking of motion. Like me coasting down the hill and gravity, like me falling off my bicycle while coasting down the hill, so I thought of Isaac Newton. 

When Sir Isaac Newton wrote the three laws of motion over 300 years ago, I am sure he had no idea how they would impact an old fat guy on a bicycle.  The first law says that an object at rest tends to stay at rest, and an object in motion tends to stay in motion, with the same direction and speed. Motion (or lack of motion) cannot change without an unbalanced force acting. If nothing is happening to you, and nothing does happen, you will never go anywhere. If you're going in a specific direction, unless something happens to you, you will always go in that direction. Forever.

I considered that as I was careening down Troost hill towards Emmanuel Cleaver II Blvd.  I was doing something, and I was going somewhere.  Mostly,   I was just enjoying the thrill of rushing through the cool morning at 28 miles an hour!  

 As I crossed Brush Creek Blvd. and looked up the hill, I remembered the second part about the unbalanced force, in this case the First  Law of Motion.  As I started up the hill I remembered that   Newton's law of universal gravitation states that every point mass in the universe attracts every other point mass with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.  I’m not sure exactly what point in the universe was trying to pull me back down that hill, but they were giving it a good shot!  It was a slow accent, but not as bad as I was afraid of.   Training is paying off. 

As I neared the top of the hill, I completely understood his second law. The second law says that the acceleration of an object produced by a net (total) applied force is directly related to the magnitude of the force, the same direction as the force, and inversely related to the mass of the object (inverse is a value that is one over another number... the inverse of 2 is 1/2). The second law shows that if you exert the same force on two objects of different mass, you will get different accelerations (changes in motion). The effect (acceleration) on the smaller mass will be greater (more noticeable). The effect of a 10 newton force on a baseball would be much greater than that same force acting on a truck. The difference in effect (acceleration) is entirely due to the difference in their masses.  That is why, even though Jim was pedaling up the hill at about the same speed, he was a block ahead of me; basically, I have considerably more mass!

Once over the top of the hill, the rest of the ride was great.  We rode the Trolley Trail and the Brush Creek Trail.  I was especially happy with the Brush Creek Trail. In the heart of the city, it’s an unexpected nature spot.  As we rode along, we saw at least 6 heron standing in the water, dozens of other water fowl, like our friend the Canada Goose, who leaves a lot of little calling cards all over the path.



There is a great waterfall that you can only see from the trail, all of it nicely maintained and smooth.  There is one place where the trail has been closed due to falling rock, but overall it was a great ride.

We stopped a number of times to check the route, discuss where the flattest hill was etc., so it took around 3 ½ hours to finish.  We’ll do better next time. 

Nature and Newton.  Who knew?

More Later

No comments:

Post a Comment