Monday, August 20, 2012

Churchill, wildlife, and doctors


The heat finally broke this morning, and it was 62 degrees when I started my ride. What a beautiful morning! Winston Churchill once said that there is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.  While the size of the saddle and the amounts of effort are considerably different, I think the same can be said for a bicycle.

I think today was the first time that I really just relaxed and enjoyed the ride. I wasn’t training or exercising, I was just riding my bike around a lake.  I saw a wild turkey, some herons and lots of ducks and geese. As I ride along, I can hear the wildlife stirring around in the woods as the sun finishes coming up.  Being on a bike is so quiet, a lot of the wildlife barely notices I am passing by.



I rode about 12 miles, average speed of 10.5 miles per hour, and top speed of 21.4 miles per hour. That was a really big hill that was great to ride down, but a gut puller to ride up.   It changes about 50 feet of elevation in around two blocks, but the ride down is worth the ride up!

I just realized I left something out of my first entry. When I decided to do this, my first stop was my doctor. He did all the blood work, checked my heart, signed me up for a cardio Doppler or some such thing, and verified that I was probably healthy enough  to get this done.  I want to encourage anyone who is following this to get a bike and start riding, but if you are my age, talk to the doc first.

Sunday I will be hitting the Blue Springs Trail and hopefully making it as far as Lees Summit. More about that on Monday.

I hope you will take time to pledge or donate to support this ride, and the work that NHS does in our neighborhoods.

More later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment