Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mud is slick, concrete is hard


After the rain that KC received courtesy of Hurricane Isaac, Sunday morning was fantastic.  I met up with fellow cyclist Brent Berry of Wells Fargo at our offices, and we headed down Troost Ave. Our goal was to see what parts of the Brush Creek trail were clear for riding, and get a mileage count on that portion of the ride.

As soon as we entered the Brush Creek Trail, we found mud, lots of mud.  At least 20 places had mud covering all of the path.  By taking it slow, and coasting, we were able to make it through all the spots as we rode to the end of the trail.  We were a lot more cautious as we made the return trip, and I was very pleased to see that the path under the Paseo Bridge was once again open, and we could ride up to the rear of the businesses on Emanuel Cleaver II.  A few feet across a vacant lot, and we were back on paving. 

Crossing Troost put us back on the path and heading for the Plaza.  More mud and more slick spots.  Careful pedaling got us through until I found a wide crack in the sidewalk that was filled in with mud, just as we passed under one of the bridges.  My wheel twisted, and my bike went sideways.  I managed not to fall, but I was slammed into a rough concrete wall on my right.  Since it was still cool, and I had on long sleeves, my only damage was a scrape on my leg, and a small gash on my little finger. I am glad I was not going very fast, and I am more certain than ever that I will always wear a helmet.  I didn’t hit my head, but if the bike had slid a little sooner, I would have, and without a helmet, even at only 5 or 6 miles an hour, it would have meant a bunch of stitches.

We finished the ride through the Plaza, hit the trolley trail and rode it around to the end.  When we circled back, we went all the way to Troost, and challenged the hill we had been avoiding.  As long as we were geared right, and didn’t try to rush it, it was not bad.  We finished our 20 mile ride back at the office.  With the delays for mud on the path our speed was down, but we managed a very respectable 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Heading home for iodine and a band aid.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment