Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Zero to 60 in 90 days


In May, it occurred to me that I should do something big for my birthday this year.  I am going to be 60 on September 15, which is a Big Milestone.  It is also my 25th anniversary as a cancer survivor, so it deserves a REALLY big celebration.

After having the Board of Directors (the real one that has only one member, my wife, not the NHS Board) reject several suggestions about jumping out of planes and such, I decided on a bicycle ride. It might be a nice ride through the neighborhoods that NHS serves; it might be a historic bike trail or something else entirely.  By telling my story in this blog, I can maybe even help other folks my age take on a challenge. 
Since I work for a non-profit, I also decided this would be a great fund raiser.  I decided to call it Marks First Annual Birthday Bicycle Bash, or Zero-60  I have ridden 0 miles since 1968, and I will be 60 on 9/15/12.     

 I decided that we will launch the fundraiser and we would ask people to pledge for each mile I ride and invite other riders to get folks to make pledges for the miles they rode. I decided that we would finish it up with a barbecue and beverage in our parking lot. Everything was planned.  Goal set.  Mission accomplished!

There were only two problems; 1) I didn’t own a bicycle, and 2) I hadn’t ridden a bike since I got my drivers license at age 16.  

The first problem was easy; the Revolve Bicycle shop at 5100 Troost is one of a growing number of Community Bike Shops across the country. Revolve and NHS are both partners in the Green Impact Zone, so getting a gently used and refurbished bicycle made a lot of environmental sense to me. They also have a fantastic program called Earn A Bike.  I just went to their website (www.revolvekc.org) and took a bicycle safety test.  I passed with a score of 87.5% (minimum 70% to get the bike,) and went down the street to see Elizabeth Bejan at Revolve. They had a nice selection of good used bikes that were free. I decided to upgrade just a little and bought a good used Specialized bike for a great price.  I also bought a helmet for just $10. 


The second problem will take a little longer, and will be the subject of this blog between now and September 15th.  I started with a 1 or 2 mile ride, and will work my way up to a yet-to be-determined distance by the time September 15th gets here.  I hope you will stop in and read my blog each week.

(PLANNING on 60k, but we will see)

Mark Stalsworth
President/CEO NHS of KC

No comments:

Post a Comment